- R&A Accepts Women Membership
- Rory McIlroy, 2014 PGA Player of the Year
- Morgan Hoffmann: An Unlikely Surge Never Before Seen in the FedExCup
- How Altitude Affects Your Golf Ball
- 2014 Ryder Cup Snubs: American and European Players LEFT HOME
- 2014 BMW Championship Preview: Picks + Predictions at Cherry Hills
- Ryder Cup Captain Selections: Paul McGinley Selects Gallacher, Poulter and Westwood for 2014 Gleneagles
- Ryder Cup Captain Selections: Tom Watson Selects Bradley, Mahan and Simpson for 2014 Gleneagles
- Chris Kirk– From Punchline to Champion, Wins Deutsche Bank Championship
- Colts Punter Pat McAfee, A Golf Swing Celebration?
Carl Pettersson Win RBC Heritage at Harbour Town, Goes All Chris Farley and Calls Himself A Fat Guy In A Little Coat
- Updated: April 15, 2012
With apologies in advance to both parties, Sunday’s final pairing at the RBC Heritage at Harbour Town between Carl Pettersson and Colt Knost had the appearance on the outside that it would’ve made for a better Chicken McNugget eating contest than for a race to the plaid jacket monstrosity awarded the winner. It was truly one of those Happy Gilmore my-neighbor-the-accountant type pairings that you would only hope that non-golfers weren’t watching, for the sake of avoiding further stereotypes towards our beloved game. In the end, the McNugget pairing ended up turning into a stout shot-making and all-around clinic by the now 5-time PGA Tour winner Carl Pettersson.
Carl has one of those swings on Tour that makes you cough up a few nachos while watching. He sets up with his head well behind the ball with his weight overly loaded on his backside, and then at the top of his swing has almost a flinchy over-the-top move that your neighbor the accountant yells at himself repeatedly for making. The entire motion flat out makes me nauseous. What doesn’t make me nauseous though is his consistency. The not-so-stealth in figure Swede ranks 15th in Driving Distance, 14th in Scoring Average on Tour and has now vaulted all the way to 4th in the FedEx Cup Standings. He also has joined Jesper Parnevik with 5 career PGA Tour wins, tied for the most ever by a Swedish male golfer.
It’s always refreshing and fun to see non-robotic guys win, guys that the every man can relate to. For two weeks in a row now, that has been the case on Tour. Last week it was Bubba and his coveted green jacket, this week it was Carl and his not-so-sexy yet still coveted plaid jacket. When asked what he had to say about putting on the ugly plaid jacket for the first time in his post round interview with Golf Channel’s Todd Lewis after the victory, Carl summed it up by saying, “Fat guy in a little coat, huh.” (a reference to the hilariously classic Chris Farley scene from Tommy Boy, video below) Not only an impressive game, but a great sense of humor to go along with it.