- Evolution of Blades: Golf Blades Have Changed Over 20 Years
- The Reason Why Top-Tier Players Are Going to Skip the Olympics
- Cool Clubs Fitting: The Mecca for Golf Equipment Enthusiasts
- Golf Channel Televising NCAA Championships With Blanket Coverage, Packages, and News
- 2016 Zurich Classic of New Orleans Preview: Picks & Predictions
- Charley Hoffman, Aka Popeye, Muscles His Way to the Top in Texas
- Factoring Slopes & Elevation Changes on the Course (VIDEO)
- Jamie Sadlowski and the Source of His Power
- 2016 Valero Texas Open Preview: Picks & Predictions
- Branden Grace Wins First Career PGA Tour Event, RBC Heritage
Golf In December- An Unexpected But Welcomed Reminder
- Updated: December 23, 2011
For those of you who don’t live in the upper Midwest or anywhere else somewhat equal in winter’s brutality, you may not be able to connect as well with this blog. But, I’m sure this post will resonate true with many of you unlucky souls prepping for the inevitable cold snap that winter will bring.
It’s Friday, December 23rd and Elmwood Golf Course here in Sioux Falls is open…still. In fact, with temperatures forecasted to be in the mid to upper 40s early next week, those diehards in the area can tee it up on Christmas Eve and the days beyond leading up to New Year’s. Pretty crazy to think about balancing College Football Bowl Games, NFL Week 16 action, last minute Christmas shopping and trying to fit in a quick 18. That never really seems to be a dilemma up in these parts.
Anyway, this year is a reminder to me more than other years past that although winter’s harshness does get old year after year, it also is a nice 3 to 4 month (and sometimes 6 month) annual break from the game, where we can stow away our clubs, hang up our spikes and take both a mental and physical break from the game.
Just like with anything else, time away will only make you even more excited to return, and golf is no different. Once the PGA Tour’s Hyundai Tournament of Champions at Kapalua on Golf Channel tees off just two weeks from today (wow that came quickly!), I know I’ll be rolling a few ProV1s across the carpet and chipping a few balls across the room onto the couch (of course while my wife isn’t watching) just raring to go come March (or April). Dangit, spring can’t come quickly enough!