- 2015 Greenbrier Classic Preview: Picks & Predictions
- The Zach Johnson Story: “Some players can’t be intimidated”
- 2015 Travelers Championship Preview: Picks & Predictions
- 2015 US Open at Chambers Bay Recap & Thoughts: How Do You Title This?
- Chambers Bay Opening Round: “Make Due With What the Land Gives You”
- Steph Curry and Andre Iguodala to Play Augusta National
- 3 Late Sleeper Picks for the 2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay
- 2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay Preview: Picks & Predictions
- 2015 FedEx St. Jude Classic Preview: Picks & Predictions for Memphis
- Sweden’s David Lingmerth: Memorial Champion in Clutch, Clutch Fashion
Golf In December- An Unexpected But Welcomed Reminder
- Updated: December 23, 2011
For those of you who don’t live in the upper Midwest or anywhere else somewhat equal in winter’s brutality, you may not be able to connect as well with this blog. But, I’m sure this post will resonate true with many of you unlucky souls prepping for the inevitable cold snap that winter will bring.
It’s Friday, December 23rd and Elmwood Golf Course here in Sioux Falls is open…still. In fact, with temperatures forecasted to be in the mid to upper 40s early next week, those diehards in the area can tee it up on Christmas Eve and the days beyond leading up to New Year’s. Pretty crazy to think about balancing College Football Bowl Games, NFL Week 16 action, last minute Christmas shopping and trying to fit in a quick 18. That never really seems to be a dilemma up in these parts.
Anyway, this year is a reminder to me more than other years past that although winter’s harshness does get old year after year, it also is a nice 3 to 4 month (and sometimes 6 month) annual break from the game, where we can stow away our clubs, hang up our spikes and take both a mental and physical break from the game.
Just like with anything else, time away will only make you even more excited to return, and golf is no different. Once the PGA Tour’s Hyundai Tournament of Champions at Kapalua on Golf Channel tees off just two weeks from today (wow that came quickly!), I know I’ll be rolling a few ProV1s across the carpet and chipping a few balls across the room onto the couch (of course while my wife isn’t watching) just raring to go come March (or April). Dangit, spring can’t come quickly enough!