- 2016 Ryder Cup Preview: Overview, Hazeltine, and Players To Watch
- The TV Drill: A Drill Designed to Fix Your Slice
- The 2016 Tour Championship Preview: East Lake & FedEx Cup Winner
- Using the Flightscope for Golf Drills to Improve
- A Look Ahead to the Final 30 at the Tour Championship: FedEx Cup time!
- Introducing the New Titleist 917 drivers, Tour Pros are Believers
- Slope and Course Rating: How They’re Defined, “These Important Numbers”
- Web.com Tour Top-25 in 2016, Tour Cards in 2017
- Scotty Cameron Putters: The Cameron & Crown Model
- The Sioux Falls GreatLife Challenge, A Resounding Success as Korda Wins
Where Else But Augusta?
- Updated: April 7, 2011
Ah, Masters week has arrived, and for the next week the entire focus of the sporting world will be on the incomparable Augusta National Golf Club. The course and tournament truly are a tradition unlike any other, but why are they both so great?
- Where else but Augusta is the winning prize (green jacket) so recognizable?
- Where else but Augusta does the tournament have its own music?
- Where else but Augusta can you still buy a pimento cheese sandwich for only $1.50?
- Where else but Augusta do the tournament officials feel the need to make course changes and tweaks every year in order to make the tournament as challenging and exciting as possible?
- Where else but Augusta does the same course get to host a major each year?
- Where else but Augusta do they host a par 3 contest the day before the tournament starts where players can bring their kids along to caddie for them?
- Where else but Augusta is there a tradition of a champions dinner every year on Tuesday of the tournament week?
- Where else but Augusta is the course membership list so private and so full of CEOs?
- Where else but Augusta do they require that announcers use words like: “patrons,” “bunker,” “flagstick” and “second nine,” instead of “fans or gallery,” “trap,” “pin” or “back nine.”
- Where else but Augusta would the tournament officials refuse to sign a television contract for more than one year at a time?
- Where else but Augusta do the pictures on tv jump through the screen so intensely right into your living room?
- Where else but Augusta are each hole names so memorable? Azalea, Holly, Carolina Cherry…
- Where else but Augusta would they ban an announcer (Gary McCord) from the grounds for life for two not obscene, but just goofball comments?
- Where else but Augusta do the reigning US Amateur champion and runner up, US Public Links champion, US Mid-Amateur champion, British Amateur champion and Asian amateur champion all get a free exemption to compete?
- Where else would a golfer say, “oh what a stupid I am?”
- Where else would you get such a short, but so memorable quote of, “Maybe….yes sir!”
- Where else but Augusta do they have a Butler Cabin?
- Where else but Augusta is there a street like Magnolia Lane?
- Where else but Augusta is there a 3 hole stretch like Amen Corner?
- Where else but Augusta is there a Ben Hogan or Sam Snead bridge?
- Where else but Augusta can there be a shot so appropriately coined, “the shot heard round the world?”
- Where else but Augusta can practically smell the azaleas through your television screen?
- And where else but Augusta is there truly a tradition unlike any other?
It’s the best week of the golfing year. Enjoy the action everyone.