In Case You Missed It: Golf News from the PGA Championship
ICYMI: John Daly’s Pants, Brooks Koepka’s Record-Breaking Dominance, and All the News You Don’t Want to Miss
From the PGA Championship to college golf, this week in golf news has been all about relentless determination. We gathered all our favorite stories from this week and laid them all out for you so you don’t miss a thing.
The PGA Championship at Bethpage
- In anticipation of the big weekend, USGolfTV’s own Troy Klongerbo did a little Bethpage Black reminiscing, laid out some stats, and shared his own instincts and analysis. Plus, our entire staff threw out some predictions. Now that we’re on the other side of this thing, take a look back and see if any of us knew what we were talking about. (USGolfTV)
- Matthew Fitzpatrick’s video of the rough at Bethpage actually made our stomachs drop. (EuropeanTour)
- No, really. This course is tough. (Golfworld)
- Relentless Max Homa won the PGA Championship’s Long Drive contest a couple weeks after his first-ever PGA Tour win at the Wells Fargo Championship. After a few rough years for Homa, things are looking up. (Golf Channel)
- Watching John Daly has been as fascinating as watching the tournament itself. Christopher Powers at The Loop captured the best sights and quotes from The People’s Golfer on Day 1. (The Loop)
- May we all respond to our bogey-ridden round with the grace and wit of Eddie Pepperell. (@PepperellEddie)
- Phil Mickelson beats a thumbs-up record. In golf, we all take our victories where we can find them. (Golf Channel)
- Don’t worry about Brooks Koepka’s killer streak hurting the ego of Bethpage architect Rees Jones. “I love it when there’s a couple low scores…It’s gettable if you’re playing well. (Golfworld)
- Steve Stricker missed the cut on Friday, ending an impressive streak of 27 straight major starts without missing the cut. (Golfweek)
- “He’s making it awfully boring.” Koepka’s competitors weigh in on what it’s like to play a championship they know they won’t win. (Golf Channel)
- Also just want to make sure you heard about Brooks winning the PGA Championship and earning a new ranking as Number 1 in the world, in case you slept through the weekend and missed it. (Golf Channel)
Hot Golf Tips
- Stop slicing your driver already. (USGolfTV)
- Still feeling a little rusty after a long winter? Top golf instructors share their tips for helping the pros get back in the zone. (Golf Digest)
- Check out this 4D view of Koepka’s swing. (PGA Championship)
- Having trouble pinpointing your weaknesses? We have a brand new quiz to help you figure out where your game needs work (and how to fix it). (USGolfTV)
Big News in Golf
- “I think as a young boy it was always my dream to play for Ireland.” Looks like Rory McIlroy has had a change of heart about the 2020 Olympics. (Golfworld)
- Speaking of the Olympics, Day is also down to play. Adam Scott…not so much. (Golf Channel)
- Scott Piercy may have landed in second place behind Kang at the AT&T Byron Nelson, but he did snag a little credit as the first player in 9 years to get through a PGA Tour event without making a bogey. (Golfworld)
- A little background on Jazz Janewattananond, because it looks like we’ll be hearing about him a lot more often. (Golfworld)
Why We Love the Game
- “The competitor always finds a way.” If you’re looking for a little inspiration this week, Rex Hoggard’s article on the evolution of Tiger Woods game should do the trick. (Golf Channel)
- Speaking of competitors, can we talk about Bethpage record-breaker Brooks Koepka? Joel Beall at Golfworld says we’re seeing more than a hot streak. “Koepka’s major performance over the last five seasons? That’s not a run, that’s a routine.” Thoughts? (Golfworld)
- Caddying for Jazz Janewattananond has been nothing short of a dream come true for caddie/grocery-store manager Jack Miller. (Golfworld)
- “This has given an extra motivation to the team to prove everybody wrong.” Florida Tech’s women’s golf team responded to news that their program had been cut by winning the NCAA D-II title. (Golfworld)
This Week in Video Golf Tips
Try these three simple tips to finally master your golf swing.
If you missed Todd Kolb’s livestream instruction on how to add more distance to your golf game, don’t sweat it. We have the whole lesson for you right here.
Finally! Some straight-forward answers for those of who get a lot of conflicting advice about the ideal length for our backswing.
If you’re sick of that slice, we have some foolproof advice you’ve probably never heard before. Check out these new insights and easy tips for drawing the golf ball.
The Latest in Golf Equipment
- What’s in the bag, Kang? Find out which clubs Sung Kang used to win his first PGA Tour title at the AT&T Byron Nelson. (Golf Channel)
- Might as well take a look at Brooks Koepka’s bag while we’re at it, right? (PGA Tour)
- The Vixa V12 claims to replace both your driver and your 3-wood for more launch, more control, and more consistency all around. Here are the details on the new club everyone is talking about. (USGolfTV)
That’s it for this week’s round-up!
Also visit us at GreatGolfTipsNow.com for more tricks and insight on all aspects of the game. We’re always here to help you play better golf.